You are here
Home > Football > World Cup > LIVE Transfer Talk: Barcelona keep tabs on Leicester’s Tielemans

LIVE Transfer Talk: Barcelona keep tabs on Leicester’s Tielemans

The summer transfer window is closed for the top leagues in Europe! After a summer full of international football, countless clubs waited until the last minute to pull off their transfers. See all the major deals here and check out how we graded the biggest signings. But just because the window is shut until January, that doesn’t mean the rumours won’t keep coming.

TOP STORY: Barca plotting move for Leicester’s Tielemans

Barcelona are looking at Leicester City midfielder Youri Tielemans, reports by Mundo Deportivo.

The Catalan giants have been closely monitoring him for some time, as they like his physical and technical characteristics. They feel the 24-year-old can be a powerful presence in midfield, aggressive when needed but also show good judgement on the ball with effective shooting from range — which helped the Foxes to FA Cup glory last term.

Tielemans has two years left on his contract and has been reluctant to sign an extension so far, but he is not seen as a priority target for Barca.

Barca had previously planned to sign Georginio Wijnaldum before the former Liverpool man completed his move to Paris Saint-Germain, while they turned down the opportunity to bring in Saul Niguez as part of the deal which took Antoine Griezmann back to Atletico Madrid.

The departure of Ilaix Moriba to RB Leipzig has created an opening in the Barca squad. But Tielemans has also reportedly attracted interest from Real Madrid, Manchester United and Liverpool.

ESPN+ guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (U.S.)
Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access

LIVE BLOG

16.30 BST: The transfer window is closed and the squads are set. But how has a summer of rebuilding left the Premier League’s title hopefuls?

We take a look, and work out which club is best equipped to win the championship.

15.36 BST: Fabrizio Romano has revealed on his latest Here We Go podcast that Arsenal tried everything possible to get Tammy Abraham to sign for the club.

Abraham, 23, eventually left Chelsea for AS Roma in a €40m deal toward the end of the window.

But transfer expert Romano says Gunners boss Mikel Arteta was desperate to take him to the Emirates.

“They [Arsenal] were trying to convince the player and to take his time before joining Roma because they were looking to sell maybe [Alexandre] Lacazette or maybe Eddie Nketiah to have a free slot for a new striker,” he said. “They were really interested, in talks with the agent, but they were prepared to make a proposal. But they were needing to sell a striker before signing Tammy Abraham.

“They were really, really pushing and pushing, they were trying in every possible way. So, Arsenal were really convinced that they had a chance to sign Tammy Abraham but in football it is not easy to change the mind of the players.”

14.30 BST: Hatem Ben Arfa continues to be in the footballing wilderness, without a club after his contract at Bordeaux expired at the end of last season. Now Foot Mercato reports that the former Newcastle United and Paris Saint-Germain forward is attracting interest from a host of clubs, most notably French champions Lille and Esperance Tunis of Tunisia.

The 34-year-old is able to sign for any club outside of the transfer window as a free agent.

13.42 BST: Could Paul Pogba stay at Manchester United after all? Pogba, 28, is out of contract at the end of the season and has long been expected to leave. But he has enjoyed a stellar start to the season, with seven in four matches, and has been buoyed by the summer signings of Raphael Varane, Cristiano Ronaldo and Jadon Sancho.

Now The Athletic reports that Pogba, who has been linked with Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid, is open to staying. He is able to hold talks with clubs outside of England as of Jan. 1, so United will hope to persuade the France international to pen a new deal before then.

12.55 BST: AC Milan president Paolo Scaroni has told Sky Sport Italy that he is hopeful Franck Kessie will sign a new contract, and won’t leave on a free transfer at the end of the season.

“I keep a cautious optimism,” Scaroni said. “I have great confidence in [technical director Paolo] Maldini and [football director Frederic] Massara, who are negotiating with him.”

Kessie, 24, will have the pick of clubs if he decides to leave the San Siro next summer, with Chelsea and Tottenham among those linked with the midfielder.

12.07 BST: The Sun reports that Liverpool have cooled their interest in Rangers right-back Nathan Patterson, meaning Everton now have a clear run to sign the £10m-rated player in January. Patterson, 19, was part of the Scotland squad at Euro 2020 and is seen as one of the most promising young players in the Scottish game.

Everton had hoped to sign Patterson before the transfer window closed last month but the two clubs couldn’t agree a transfer fee.

11.20 BST: Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed his role in ensuring Cristiano Ronaldo returned to Manchester United rather than joining rivals Manchester City. Ronaldo made his second debut for United on Saturday and scored twice against Newcastle United in a 4-1 win.

“I’m excited like everyone else, there was anticipation all day yesterday and waking up in the morning. I speak for all supporters — it’s a great day for Manchester United,” Ferguson said. “A lot of people played their part [in bringing Ronaldo back] and I contributed knowing that really Cristiano wanted to come here and that was important. It worked very well.

“We took steps to make sure he came here and the club then followed in very well and I spoke to the Glazers and it was done. I think he will make an impact on the young players in particular, he’s got the experience to handle the occasion.”

10.32 BST: It seems like Ousmane Dembele is linked with a Barcelona exit throughout every transfer window, but now Mundo Deportivo reports that negotiations are almost complete over a new contract.

Dembele, 24, has struggled for fitness and form since moving to Barca from Borussia Dortmund in 2017, scoring 18 goals in 81 LaLiga appearances. Barca are eager to protect his value, with just 10 months remaining on his contract.

The player has had to agree to a reduced salary as part of Barca’s cost-cutting measures, and is set to sign a deal to run until the summer of 2026. The next meetings between Dembele’s representatives and the club could take place this week.

09.47 BST: Football Insider reports that Everton were unable to offload James Rodriguez this summer due to his huge wages. James, 30, is surplus to requirements at Goodison Park under new boss Rafa Benitez, but despite interest in the window he is still at the Premier League club.

The report states that James is the club’s highest-paid player, earning £250,000-a-week, and that put off all suitors.

09.00 BST: Leicester City defender Wesley Fofana has spoken of his admiration for Real Madrid — and underlined his desire to play for the club.

Fofana, 20, was one of the breakout performers in the Premier League last season, though he has missed the start of this campaign after suffering a broken leg in preseason.

“Rumours of Real Madrid?” he said in an interview on YouTube with Oh My Goal – France. “It’s an honour, Real Madrid is the club of my dreams. It’s the biggest club in the world and my dream is to play there.”

PAPER GOSSIP

Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidizic admitted to Sky90 that they are looking at Bayer Leverkusen starlet Florian Wirtz “all the time,” before hesitating to say anything else about their interest: “He plays for Bayer Leverkusen, but the boy is really good.” Wirtz has certainly had an encouraging start to the Bundesliga campaign, scoring two goals and providing three assists in just 124 minutes across three games.

– There have been plenty of reports about Borussia Dortmund midfielder Jude Bellingham, linking him to the likes of Manchester City and Liverpool. And Sport Bild has suggested that the England international doesn’t have a release clause in his contract, adding that it will take more than €100 million to sign him.

Bordeaux could utilise a law that allows French clubs to sign one available player from within France after the deadline in order to bring in Rennes attacker M’Baye Niang, according to Foot Mercato. Following his loan at Al-Ahli, Rennes are willing to do whatever it takes for Niang to leave, so are happy to let him depart for free while negotiating to get a percentage of the fee if he moves on again.

– Now that Lautaro Martinez‘s contract renewal at Inter Milan is looking promising, the Serie A outfit will next look to work on deals for midfield duo Nicolo Barella and Marcelo Brozovic, reports Sky Sports Italia. Brozovic’s deal runs until next summer, while Barella has a contract until 2024.

Paulo Dybala is leaving his agents to negotiate with Juventus regarding a contract extension, according to Calaciomercato. The 27-year-old only has one year remaining on his deal, but both parties are relaxed about the situation. The attacking midfielder wants to be the Serie A club’s highest-paid player.

– Former Inter, Galatasaray and Marseille defender Yuto Nagatomo has returned to FC Tokyo. The 35-year-old previously played for the club between 2008 and 2010.

Source espn

el-admin
el-admin
EltasZone Sportswriters, Sports Analysts, Opinion columnists, editorials and op-eds. Analysis from The Zone Team
Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Top
%d bloggers like this: